Saturday, June 13, 2015

Chapters 4 and 9



 No child left behind
After reading chapter 4 and 9, I would like to inform you of my thoughts on the materials I have just read. I will inform you on the connection that I have with these two chapters, of the new ideas that I got from reading these chapters and of what I think will be challenging for me to do in the classroom.

First, I was able to connect with the information about the performance assessments (p.88). For years I have been working in the school system with at risk kids. These kids are from poverty stricken areas, single parent homes and most of them do not have internet services. So when it comes to assessments I think they are bias in some ways. In order to do an assessment appropriately all individuals involved must have the same tools and assets to work with. I am not a big fan of the pressure that is placed on teachers, to have their students perform at the same rate as children who do not deal with poverty, single parent homes and no internet services.

Next, the text it talks about handcrafted videos being made to farther educate the student (p. 226). It talks about Khan Academy and the short film and lesson that are made to instruct people. I have used Khan Academy on several different occasions, mainly in math. Programs like this have been a tremendous help to me and it is one that I would like to definitely extend my knowledge in so that I could use it in the classroom. 

Finally, if I had to ask myself a challenging question it would be “How will I select the best technologies to promote education and engagement rather than solely entertainment.” This question was present in the reflection of chapter 9 and it really made me think (p.241).
With technologies constantly changing, I feel that this will be an increasing and constant battle to try to keep the students engaged and learning in the classroom.


Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Most (if not all!) teachers would likely agree with you regarding the standardized assessments being used as a sole measurement of progress. It is difficult to understand how politics became such a major (and distracting) force in the education of our youth, but it has been so in the last decade or so. Fortunately, I have seen movement toward the balance point to include other more creative and/or authentic assessments in recent times. Hopefully, that will continue as you move into the profession. On the other hand, the issues of poverty and other 'at risk' factors continue to plague our society. These are much bigger and more pervasive issues and don't impact education alone, but one would think that education would help to solve those problems....

    ReplyDelete